Sunday, October 28, 2012

Talks In Church

So about two weeks ago the bishop of our ward asked Dev if he and I would give talks this Sunday. Of course, because he's the most worthy, willing, and dedicated priesthood holder I know, he said we would, without asking me. And then told me while I was at work so I had a couple hours to cool off! He truly is a smart man. So I, being myself, waited until about Thursday to start it, only worked on it four half an hour (after I stopped crying because I had to do it) and then worked on it for about ten minutes the next day, then not touching it until Sunday, two hours before church. It's been stressing me out for the past two weeks and I've been dreading every second that I would have to stand up there. But today was the day! My talk was called 'Living the Gospel and finding joy therein', I absolutely loved my topic. It was over Sister Ann Dibb's General Conference talk 'I know it, I live it, I love it'. It was such a beautiful talk and I just seriously loved it. I told the story about my dad's wreck, about my families sealing, and about being sealed to my sweetheart for time and all eternity. It was such a spiritual helper and lifter to me. I seriously needed to study that talk, not because I've been making bad decisions, but because I wasn't feeling as grateful as I should be. So it was a real eye opener to study such a beautiful topic and to share with everyone my feelings about it. But then a spider climbed on the pulpit. I'm sure my eyes were super wide when I saw it and someone had to have noticed it! I tried to avoid it, but then it tried climbing onto my hand and so I flicked it towards bishop. It was funny, everyone laughed when I explained what was going on. I felt that I did a pretty good job when I was finished with it and as I was going through it, and everyone was laughing at my jokes, and I even saw a few people crying! That's a sure sign that you're doing a good job, right? So I felt good, and then only left fifteen minutes for my sweetheart and he had to cut some things out, but all in all, it was a great sacrament meeting. Afterwards people told us how great we did and they kept telling me that I was a wonderful speaker and that they need to get me to do it more often. In reality, I actually liked all the attention!! I might like the calling as some sort of Youth Sunday School teacher, definitely not adult Sunday School, I'm not smart enough for that. But it was a ton of fun. I had the comment from someone, "I could listen to you all day!" It made me feel good, and another "That was a beautiful talk, you could have talked the whole sacrament meeting, you just did so well!" Seriously, I conquered a HUGE fear and it's making me feel like I can actually do it! Yay me!! That's all:)

1 comment:

  1. Good job of following through with your sustaining of the bishopric. Accepting talks and other things they ask of us, is one way we sustain them in action. Well done. It sounds like you did better than just a job well done. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete